How to Avoid a Sinus Infection or Shorten the Duration of a Cold

by GfG on October 8, 2008 · 11 comments

Ok, hear me out. You may close out my blog as soon as you see the photo I’m going to show you. But, wait! I, too, dismissed the effectiveness of this practice. I had heard many a ‘crunchy’ person talk about it, but I ignored it. UNTIL I realized how often I was having sinus infections and how long colds took to run their course in my home. Paying for antbx three times a year for myself (and the long-term effects of that) was bumming me out, so I finally decided to try it.

I actually squirted salt water up my nose.

Ok, I said it.

I used a bulb syringe to do it. It was odd. It was a bit gross. I will not post photos of the step-by-step process. I know you are thanking me. But you know what, my allergy issues were helped! I started doing it to the kids. You would have thought I was amputating an arm the first two times each kid had to do it, but then a very funny thing happened…

They started asking me to do it! They were feeling better and they realized that ‘cleaning out their nose’ was helping them.

When I forgot my bulb syringe and was at my friend Dr. Mole’s house, she gave me this super duper kit! We now have three of them.

I’m telling you, it works. Doctors have rec’d to parents of small babies to squirt saline solution up the baby’s nose and the suction out the nose. It’s the same principle. You don’t have to admit to others that you do it. Just try it. It’s that time of year when colds start getting passed around and we have a month until the Texas Hill Country gets hit by cedar pollen. I did not have a single sinus infection last year and I really think it was because of starting this practice.

Tips:

1)Start as soon as you have drainage. I didn’t do this last week and I think I may have a sinus infection now. I’m popping garlic and cleaning my nose out, but this could have been avoided if I had remembered this little tool. I’m guessing that it’s still a new practice to me and so I didn’t think of it immediately. Bad move.

2)Use this bottle or a bulb syringe because there is no germie backwash. Neti pots are popular, but their design leaves me wondering about backwash. Yuck.

3)Wash the syringe or bottle tip after each use.

4)Empty the whole bottle. Don’t just do one squirt in each nostril. With the kiddos, I only started with two squirts in each nostril two-three times a day. They will see the yucko come out of their nose and will become believers. It cracks me up that my seven and five year old will come up to me when they start having a runny nose and say, “Mom, will you clean my nose out!” The eleven year old will just do it on her own without even asking. We nostril squirted the seven year old before BSF last night and when I picked her up she said, “I didn’t sniff or have to wipe my nose one time, Mom!”

This is what Works for Me. Check out Shannon’s blog for lots of other great tips on all sorts of things.

Come on’, I dare ya’ to try it. I’d love for you to report back if/when you do. No photos of the process, though. ‘K?

MikeandCharlsie October 8, 2008 at 2:25 pm

We are big fans of the Neti pot here at our house. I have to say though that for the kids that kit looks like a great solution! It seems like it would be easier to handle. Thanks for sharing!

heidi October 8, 2008 at 5:44 pm

Very interesting. I’ve heard of the concept before but never really considered doing it, I confess. I may have to rethink that now that the girls are back in public school!

Thanks!

Suzanne October 8, 2008 at 6:31 pm

My mom does this and swears by it. I personally haven’t had the nerve to try it, but after reading this, I might! This might work well for my 2 year old, too. Thanks!

cajungal01 October 8, 2008 at 6:39 pm

OK, OK, OK…maybe I’ll TRY it… well maybe I’ll try it on my son who lives with a runny nose and this time of year it can start to thicken up. For me though, I just don’t know that I’m up for it. I DESPISE, ok.. I’ll say the word…HATE… having any liquid get in my nose. Ughh.

I WILL try it with Caleb though.
knowing how much he likes disgusting things, he’ll probably like it (once he sees the result)
:0)

Faithful October 8, 2008 at 10:09 pm

How Great! I have actually seen the Neti Pot in action, but haven’t had the guts to try it out. Salt water huh, warm? We all have colds now actually and I’m getting pretty sick adn tired of not breathing, we are trying it! I’ll report back! =)

P.S. He loves you... October 8, 2008 at 10:28 pm

works here and i’ve been on to it since my 2nd born…share with everyone during allergy season and they just look at me like I’m crazy..welcome to the crazy club ;D

Faithful October 9, 2008 at 6:41 am

so far, I’ve done one dose of the salt water up the nose, it felt funny, made my eyes water a little, but all in all it made me feel better if gor just a breif moment. I am going to get on a strict 3 day regimine until I am better.
James fought me the whole way(he has a history of sinus infections), but his nose did seem to be LOTS clearer, he was to the point of not being to breathe through his nose at all even with a good blow. After the water I was able to blow the rest out and he could breathe…though it came back quickly, we are going to keep with it and next time, hopefully, rememeber to do it right away. Hope everyone elses experiences go just as well.

Jan October 9, 2008 at 9:05 am

I am a firm believer in this method…and yet so uncrunchy! So, know that even uncrunchy folks use it and swear by it. It has cut out my sinus infections almost completely…not that I suffer from many. But since I started using this 2 years ago, I’ve had NO sinus infections!

I CANNOT imagine doing it to a kid though…you must really love them.

robin@heartofwisdom.com October 9, 2008 at 11:24 am

I tried this once for my algeries but have to keep it up!

Thanks for sharing!
Love your blog!

Come and visit me and learn how you can download books to your mp-3 player for free.

See ya there!
robin@heartofwisdom.com

Sara October 10, 2008 at 3:15 am

We’re also Neti fans… I feel like I get the pot clean with hot soapy water after each use. Not sure I could do that with the squirty top bottle… Also no place for moist, warm germies to grow in the squirty top.

The kids do it for themselves. Even when Mack was 5 she was a pro – giving mamma tips since she was more experienced at it.

Works for us too!

Amy October 15, 2008 at 2:56 pm

Thanks for your comment on my blog! I hope you enjoy making chicken broth!