Where We Sleep & Play

by GfG on August 26, 2010 · 16 comments

2 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 2 Pin It Share 0 Email -- Google+ 0 2 Flares ×

The last segment (just learned they decided to add more, but this is probably my last segment) for home sharing from “4 moms/35 Kids” is on bedrooms, so that’s what you get to see today.

My bedroom is the first one most people come across when visiting since it is just off the dining room and right past the guest bathroom.  It’s usually called “Mom’s Room”.  It is the ‘smaller’ bedroom of the one of the apartments joined to make our camp home.  The other ‘bigger bedroom’ in this apartment had to have a door cut out of the wall to connect to the other apartment, immediately knocking it out of being a bedroom (It’s our family room now).  I don’t mind having a smaller bedroom, but I do miss having a master bathroom.

The closet in this room belongs to my husband.  My closet is the space that was intended for the washer and dryer.  Since we don’t have two washers and dryers, it was perfect for a walk in closet.  I won’t show it to you.  Just imagine it neat and organized.  Or whatever.

All the way on the other end of the house are the kids’ rooms.  They are cleverly called “The Girls’ Room” and “The Boys’ Room”.  Aren’t we creative?

I really like the kids’ rooms.  The Boys’ Room is fun to play in and the light blocking curtains make me want to take a nap.  Truth be told, The Boy doesn’t sleep in this room, though.  Only Wee Babe does.

Wee Babe loves his new (yea, Craig’s List) train table moved in when he moved out of the crib over a month ago (now you know what that wailing you heard was… me mourning the fact that my ‘baby’  moved to a ‘real’ bed).

I love the lockers.  They are very boyish and practical and stuffed with books.  We have a lot of books.  Seriously.  It’s becoming a problem.

Why yes, we do live in Texas.  Why do you ask?

“The Girls’ Room” is the most “lived in” room in our home.  There is always something going on in here.

Whether it’s a Littlest Pet Shop extravaganza, a tent gathering, or a wrestling match, it happens here.  See that mattress under the bunk bed on the right?  That is what The Boy pulls out and sleeps on every night.  He likes to be with his sisters.  I’m perfectly cool with it.  Plus, the mattress is multifunctional for the activities already mentioned.

The walls in this room were so big that I needed something to fill them nicely.  I love art and I love my kids’ art, so I came up with a perfect solution (and better than the school paper art brought to me all day, though not as dear as this impromptu art or this one).  I bought the canvases and Crayola Twistable Slick Colors.  I had the girls do a practice drawing on paper first and then they colored on the canvas.  It was lots of fun and I will cherish them always.  Princess and Faith even won ribbons in the county fair for their pieces.

The IKEA shelves have been very helpful.  Each girl gets a basket to put knick-knacks in neatly.  Then… there are the books.  Have I mentioned we have a lot of books?  Well, these found a nice home in the girls’ room without getting crazy.

Here are the things we do that help keep  the stuff that comes with six  kiddos somewhat at bay in their rooms and some neatness:

We do not use flat sheets, but a comforter/blanket only.  Each child usually keeps their bed made and uses a throw blanket to cover themselves.  These are kept at the foot of their bed or in the bunk drawers.  We do this because it’s hard to make bunk beds well (especially for ‘littles’ and for those on the top bunk) and it keeps the room neater.

We have a shoe basket and a sock basket in the girls’ closet for all the kids.

Each child is given a basket for their treasures and a box in the closet.

We gave each child darling bags for co-op materials, BSF notebooks, and/or Bibles for church and such.  Their initials are embroidered on them and they hang by the door, ready to go.

We moved shelving into the closet to stash things and to keep clutter in the room down.

I go through the room every few months and throw things away give to the Salvation Army.

I chose solid colors instead of prints to keep the visual stimulation at a lower level.

We gave the girls the ‘master bedroom’ instead of using it ourselves.

We have tile flooring everywhere.  Yes, everywhere.  While it’s camp housing, so we didn’t get to choose it, it’s what I’ve been asking for in our home.  The other camp wouldn’t go for it.  The reasons I like it: cuts down on allergy problems, it’s easier to clean and it can be kept stain free.  While I don’t allow food and drink out of the kitchen, it’s surprising how dirty carpeting gets.

So, there you have it: our bedrooms. Lots of people tell me that they “don’t have room for more children” or “can’t fit in a three bedroom home with more than two or, at the most, three children”.  I’m here to tell you that it’s actually easy to do.  Sure, bunk beds rule the roost, but my children have plenty of space, too much stuff, and privacy when they want it .  Children don’t need their own rooms.  Seriously.

Thank you for coming in.  If you ever stop by in real life, I can not promise these rooms will look as neat.  Actually, I can promise they won’t, but since I’ve made great strides in my homemaking, they will at least resemble these rooms nicely.

Be sure to check out the other homes at the link up at Raising Olives.

2 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 2 Pin It Share 0 Email -- Google+ 0 2 Flares ×

Sarah August 26, 2010 at 6:16 am

And to think hb and I were just talking how to add kids to various rooms just the other day while she was helping me in the kitchen (we should poing out to folks who know me irl that hb was helping me clean no actual cooking was attempted).

The Reader August 26, 2010 at 6:38 am

Those are the most adorable rooms ever. LOVE the decorations in the Boys’ room. Love it. Just do. LOVE the 4 panels in the Girls’ room, the different colored sheers. So precious. LOVE LOVE LOVE The artwork – where did you buy canvases?? Any ole’ art supply store??? What a fabulous idea.

I agree on kids don’t need their own rooms. I keep toying with putting all 3 boys in one room, but no one is on board with that. Hmmph. whatever. Also toyed with giving up the master bedroom, but couldn’t get anyone on board for that one, either. Maybe I will show them your pictures…..I seriously think it would work beautifully…..

I have so enjoyed this tour. Thanks for showing your home to us! One basket + one box each, huh? That’s it? I think that’s my chore for the weekend…..each boy a treasure chest, period. We are still hauling around boxes of rocks from Texas………

anyway – loved the tour! Thanks a million!!!

Tracy August 26, 2010 at 8:52 am

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the lockers! I would love to have lockers in our home for our kiddos!! Thanks for sharing pictures of your home.

deputyheadmistress August 26, 2010 at 9:21 am

What great ideas you have! Thanks for linking up!

Sis August 26, 2010 at 9:34 am

Hey Sista’, everything looks fabulous! I LOVE the sheer curtains, the different colors, in the girls room too! I don’t think I’ve ever even noticed. But that’s because what you said is true…that’s always the room with the most action and we tend to NOT hang out in that room. There is always tons of fun happening in your house and I love that most about your home. BUT all of the organizing tips and creative ideas are great too!
YEA Sis!
Oh..and I strongly agree about kids sharing rooms. My kiddos share a room (one boy, one girl) despite the fact that it’s a 4 bedroom home. Sharing a space truly helps relationships grow and I LOVE what I’ve seen from my kiddos because of it. :0)

love ya!

Celee August 26, 2010 at 1:14 pm

I love the girls artwork on canvas! I display my kids’ art, too, but never as cleverly as that. I’m a fellow Texan, as well. Nice “meeting” you through the link-up.

Celee

Deb August 26, 2010 at 3:12 pm

Love the lockers! Love the girls room — it’s very tidy with the shelves. The multi-colored curtains are very cute!

Lisa~ August 26, 2010 at 3:33 pm

Well since I’ve been to your house and I was there when you purchased some of your best things I can really say how wonderful it is! It is a very welcoming and loving place to be. Lisa~

Lindsey in AL August 26, 2010 at 3:48 pm

Your kids’ rooms are great! I just love the bookcase thing in the girls’ room with the four treasure baskets. I really need to put a better limit on my kids’ treasures 😐 For reference, that’s a king-size bed in my room. I measured and the room is 10 feet each way. Even smaller than I thought. I guess it’s that magical paint that made me think it’s bigger :)
Where did you get your lockers? Those would be really nice in my boys’ room which is even smaller than the “master.” I am going to share my kids’ rooms next week, my girls’ anyway. The boys’ will depend on whether they can get it sufficiently cleaned up in the next week. Blech. My kids only just got 2 rooms to share instead of one a few months ago. A small house is definitely no excuse for a small family.

Kimberly @ Raising Olives August 26, 2010 at 4:48 pm

Your home is lovely, warm, inviting and creative. I love it.

I love the lockers (note to self, if you see lockers at a yard sale, buy them) and all of the books, the colors in the girls room, the artwork and everything.

Thanks for linking up!

Arlene August 26, 2010 at 5:42 pm

Great organization ideas in the kid’s rooms. I agree as well children don’t need their own room. I never had one growing up and it was a blessing. My boys now share a room even though they’re almost 13 years apart. I love your flooring, too. I’m not a fan of carpeting either. Too much work to keep clean.

Thanks for the invitation to your home. God bless and have a great evening.

Jenn August 26, 2010 at 9:17 pm

I love the different colored sheers in the girls’ room, so nice and bright. I’m thinking of doing a similar color scheme if I have another girl. The art work is great too! You sure do have a lot of books, but if they’re actually reading them…that’s a great problem to have!

Faith August 27, 2010 at 8:34 pm

Your rooms ARE awesome. :) I love those bookshelves. Seriously. You do a great job in using two apartments as one house. :)

pam August 30, 2010 at 11:31 am

i love the locker idea

Alyssa January 17, 2011 at 10:18 pm

Love your girls room so cute!

Adrienne October 24, 2012 at 9:19 am

I just found your blog a few days ago. I love it! As mom to six as well, I had to comment on this one. We have six kids in one bedroom – we have a two bedroom house. Mattresses sliding out from under bunkbeds was the revelation of the year around here.