What a Day

by GfG on September 21, 2010 · 7 comments

7 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 7 Pin It Share 0 Email -- Google+ 0 7 Flares ×

Today something happened that made my heart skip a beat and my grin radiate to the moon.  Something I’ve been waiting patiently for for quite some time.  Something that is a big step towards an important goal in our home.

Faith asked to read a book on her own, during her spare time.

“Mama, can I read my school book by myself?  While you do other things?”

“(insert heart skipping and face radiating moment here… and a slight pause as I basked in the moment) Of course, honey.”

A book.  Not a “living” chapter book, but not a Bob Book either.  A beginning reader.  Actually, the first in this series.

She has asked to read before, sure.  With me or with me nearby.  And she’s asked to “read” since she was a little girl, but it meant look at books, not actually read them.  Learning to read is work for her and she tires quickly.  I respect her effort and don’t push her.  We read a section during school and have read aloud time, and work on phonics a bit, but that’s all for now.  The last week of school before vacation we left Bob Books behind (we were out and I didn’t want to spend any more money… My Sweetie, if you’re reading this… you’re welcome) and opened this book.

It’s funny how milestones sometimes happen when you think they might never.  Those first days with the new reader, I watched her work as she sounded out words again and again … and again…and my heart wilted into  my toes, filled with anxiety, wondering if she would ever reach the point of enjoying reading and actually doing it (she’s seven and a half), not just sounding out.  The first step had to be enjoying the process, I knew.  She wanted to, I could tell, but the work was outweighing the desire.

Then it happened.

“Mama, can I read my school book by myself?”

Yes, darling!  Yes! Yes!  And forever yes!

Just when I thought this mama’s heart could barely contain such joy in one day, she came up to me hours later while I read my Kindle for the first time and said, “Can I sit with you and read my book?  You can read your book and I’ll read mine?  We can read at the same time sitting with each other?”

Goodness, I almost cried that time.  Instead I simply smiled and said, “I’d love that, sweetie.”

And I did.  Gloriously, I did.

While we sat and read, one of us sounding out most words and one of us staring at blurry words before her, a prayer of gratitude went up to the LORD.  Gratitude for the perseverance and accomplishment of one sweet, precious girl.

My, my, what a day.

“Praise the Lord.  How good it is to sing praises to our God, how pleasant and fitting it is to praise Him!”  Psalm 147:1

Sis September 21, 2010 at 5:58 pm

YEA YEA YEA! I am so excited for both of you! :0) I pray that the joy of reading takes root in her heart.
much love
~your sis

Jessica September 21, 2010 at 6:31 pm

That’s wonderful! I’m not good at being patient yet… but I do understand that if my kiddo’s don’t enjoy learning that they aren’t going to get very far. It’s still a learning process for me to make things fun and interesting instead of rushing to completed the curriculum.

Heather September 21, 2010 at 7:51 pm

Wonderful ! As an *almost* certified teacher and a wannabe homeschooling mama I REALLY REALLY applaud you for how you’ve handled this (not that what anyone thinks should matter), but it does my heart good to see someone *get* it…we need to remember that reading is they key to all learning. To want to read, kids need to love it- they aren’t going to love it if it is a painful, pushy process, but then as Christian parents, we also have to remember that our children do need the RIGHT amount of pushing, just like our heavenly father gives us ! Faith is a blessed little girl to have a Mama who has so carefully let her follow her own timetable, and not worry about the world’s expectations ! How many kids I’ve seen in my very limited teaching experience that started the process of reading at 5, but by 5th grade, want nothing to do with it- I guarantee your darling won’t be one of them.

The Reader September 22, 2010 at 8:09 am

Love it! Absolutely love it!!!

Definitely something to sing His praises over, for sure!!!

Cindi @ Rustique Art September 22, 2010 at 8:48 am

Praising along side you…

this brought tears to my eyes…I love reading about the small triumphs and joys that many overlook in their busy days. I think I’m praising more for your blessings of being witness to these joys more than her milestone…although I am tickled pink that another passionate reader has blossomed. :)

GfG September 24, 2010 at 12:59 pm

Heather- thanks for the dear to me encouragement!

Kristin Smith June 16, 2012 at 10:57 am

Well, that is two in a row for today. Saturday, June 16, 2012. I just read the current story about Faith and the skype tea party and cried. Came over to read more about Faith and cried again. Praise God…. So thankful for you her Mama and how God has showed you what Faith needs to succeed. Wonderful….