First of all… I’m moving this link up to Fridays. Tuesday night is just too early to figure out What We’re Learning, plus, who can remember the second part of last week? 😉 Clearly, those of us over forty have a tough time with that… So… next week and hence, Fridays are What We’re Learning day!
AND the winner of the giveaway (an Amazon gift card) for participating in the first two link ups is… A Pinch of Thyme!
Ok, wow! Lotsa stuff going down here at our home (more on that next week). My favorite holiday is coming this weekend and we make a pretty big deal about it. Come back tomorrow to hear about that.
This week, here’s What We’re Learning:
1) This week we entered the wild west! Yee-haw! We are learning about the American Bison, outlaws and cowboys.
I ordered the Wild West Interactive History Book that I mentioned in yesterday’s post, it arrived yesterday afternoon. We’ve already been enjoying it tremendously! It’s always a good sign when your kids bring “school books” in the car to go out to eat. Chock full of real people and stories, but woven into a way that the student chooses what they want to do.
The kids always like hearing about animals. We’ll get to see some of these live next week.
2) I’ve alternated between loving and wanting to throw Right Start Math out the window. These last few weeks I’ve loved it. Maybe I’m rounding a corner in understanding it. My brain isn’t wired for math (I could talk all day about a beautiful book, though!) and Right Start hits it from an even odder angle.
Anyhoo… last week Cutie Pie learned how to add a double digit number with the number nine in her head and it floored me. She’s only 6. I thought maybe it was a fluke. Nope. She really gets it. She loves doing it too. Maybe it’s the outlaw in her?
3) Princess and The Boy both finish math this week. Pretty big deal. Have I mentioned that Teaching Textbooks is my best friend? They’ve learned the Pythagorean Theorem, negative numbers, and dividing with decimals as well as tackling number lines this week. The best part is that they actually enjoy doing their math.
4) We’re learning that being diligent in lessons pays off by completing the curriculum ahead of schedule. Verrrry nice thing to learn. And by saying we‘re, I mean that one of us (who shall remain unnamed) is wishing she had learned this, but two kids actually have.
5) I’m learning what it means to step out in faith. We’ve been led to do something pretty difficult (come back Monday to hear about it), but my doctrine is sound and that makes things different. Because my doctrine is sound, I do not believe lies about God, faith, and life. Things are still going to be pretty hard, but we’ll/I’ll be ok. I have an amazing Heavenly Father who has gone before me, who walks beside me and who never leaves me. That’s pretty stinkin great. Seriously.
So… what are you learning? Link up!