How to Say Goodbye to a Town

by GfG on May 7, 2012 · 14 comments

0 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Pin It Share 0 Email -- Google+ 0 0 Flares ×

Today, we leave our precious town.  My Sweetie and I met here.  We had all our babies here.  We ministered here.

Our family is here (or very, very close).  Our church family here is stunning.  Our friends here are are amazing.

BUT  God has new plans for us, so today we are en route to Albuquerque, New Mexico to start a new chapter in our family’s life.

As a way to say goodbye to our beloved home, we had a photo scavenger hunt.  We stopped at all the places that are familiar to us.  Places we’d go to weekly or more.

My Sweetie and I shared the clues, the kids figured them out.

The “Ranch”.  Our first home.  Fifteen years in this special place.

Papalou’s house.

We have photos of the people and many of the moments that mean a lot to us, but not necessarily the places.  And definitely not the favorite “haunts”.

We hopped out and took a photo at each stop.  And took this spontaneous one in front of our city limits sign.

Our favorite cheap Mexican food place.  Lots of memories here.

A place one of us visits quite frequently for her iced tea fix.

This place was my favorite (yes, even compared to Culver’s!)!

Our church has set the bar pretty stinkin’ high.   Three of our kids and I were baptized here. We matured here as a couple and a family.  It is our true church “home”.

We all said goodbye to our town.

It was a very memorable afternoon for a very memorable hometown.

The people… well, I can’t write a post about saying goodbye to the people because my computer keeps shorting out due to the amount of fluid pouring over it as I weep.  Once I can stop sobbing, I’ll share about the beautiful ways we said goodbye and were blessed with send offs.  Truly amazing.

What would you take photos of if you were leaving your hometown?

Linking to Hip Homeschool Hop

0 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Pin It Share 0 Email -- Google+ 0 0 Flares ×

Mary Picciuti May 7, 2012 at 8:38 am

What a beautiful life you had here in Texas and I am sure your life in NM will be just as beautiful.God bless all of you.

Thyme May 7, 2012 at 10:04 am

I couldn’t imagine packing up and leaving my beloved Washington. I’m 4th generation born and raised in this city, I don’t think I could ever leave.

Your post made me cry :(

Kim Paterka May 7, 2012 at 11:48 am

Okay, We’ve met twice. First, at the tog booth during a FEAST convention. The next time I saw you was at Gabriel’s service. You were so loving and kind to come out, thank you. thank you. thank you :) I’m looking forward to many more awesome posts! My husband and I moved to Arizona the day after we got married in 1992. I have to say that the drive from San Antonio to El Paso is the LONGEST drive ever- though I imagine you will have quite a bit on your mind the whole way :) God bless you on your new season of life, it’s going to be great! I’m still on track with the bible in 6 months! Thanks for the encouragement :)

Megan May 8, 2012 at 7:37 am

I love Wee Babe’s poses! =)

GfG May 8, 2012 at 7:49 am

Ha! I was wondering when someone was going to notice/say something. He was soooo tired. We went during naptime. :-)

Virginia Floyd May 8, 2012 at 9:05 am

Darling! Love the pictures, Mindy. What a great thing for the kids to remember by.

Kristin Smith May 9, 2012 at 12:18 am

Yes, I noticed little guy as well. Looks like a “I should be napping pose”.

Michelle May 8, 2012 at 12:05 pm

If I were moving to Albuquerque I would weep for the trees, mountains and lakes. The desert is beautiful in its way, but I can’t live very well without deep blankets of white snow, clear crystal mountain lakes, and the deep smell of pine forests.

Best wishes to you in your new adventure.

Found you on the Homeschool hop. Come visit us at Layers of Learning.

Annette @ In All You Do May 8, 2012 at 4:23 pm

I completely understand moving away from all you know. I’ve done it twice. Once for college and then once after my husband I were married and out of college. It’s not easy, but I’m so thankful for God’s provision and guidance. Blessings on your new life season and adventure! It sounds like it will be amazing!

I also wanted you to know that I nominated you for the Liebster Award. You can read more about it here on my post:

Blessings,
Annette

Katy~TheCountryBlossom May 8, 2012 at 5:08 pm

You have a beautiful family. I know how tough leaving your church family and things behind. Prayers for a successful and joy-filled journey ahead!

Kristin Smith May 9, 2012 at 12:22 am

I love how you were thoughtful about saying goodbye to your home, church and lives here in Texas. So helpful for the kiddos and such a gentle way to leave. I am so glad we met at all….sorry that I came in at the end of the Texas story though. I love your children. They are so loving, kind, affectionate, gracious and funny. You will be in my prayers. You keep being on my mind which always reminds me that if someone is on my mind, then, it is because God put them there and they are on His mind as well….Bless y’all.

lorene May 10, 2012 at 11:22 pm

Dearest mindy…i am sad i was not able to wish you well in your newest adventure but super excited to have a reason to visit new mexico. But what i truly wanted to share was the joy i got from seeing your amazing family at the star. It brought tears to my eyes…i miss it so much. And then i thought about how there was only one baby and one on the way when i first stepped foot on the property. I am truly blessed to have met you and yours. I love you all dearly!

Sis May 11, 2012 at 8:06 am

Most favorite post ever! Don’t really like starting my day with tears BUT I love this post. I love that y’all did it. I love the photos. I love the idea. Y’all rock. BTW, I was “gone” from the very first photo…that one got me pretty hard…. then PapaLou’s cinched the deal.
love you!