Tips for Trader Joe’s

by GfG on May 31, 2012 · 11 comments

3 Flares Twitter 2 Facebook 1 Pin It Share 0 Email -- Google+ 0 3 Flares ×

Ok, I’ve heard for years that Trader Joe’s is pretty stinking wonderful.

Well, we are decently close to one now, so…

Tell me what you believe can’t be missed there!  What do I need?  What is fab?  What makes you go there?

We’ve been once (the kids and I), but it was pretty overwhelming.  I felt like you need to know what you want going in or that there is some kind of secret list to look for or there is insider information we needed.  We picked up some of the pizza dough because it was the only item I remembered hearing about that is terrific.  Surely, there is more!

Looking forward to hearing some great tips about Trader Joe’s!

Have you been to Trader Joe’s?

The Reader May 31, 2012 at 8:05 am

We went once when we visited my dad, back when he lived in MO.

Cheese. And shrimp cocktail sauce. And cheese. Lots and lots of different yummy kinds of cheese.

I’m pretty sure there was other stuff, but as I had a one track mind at the time (’cause we had yet to discover the few good cheeses here, back then…), I really don’t remember much else. Except that it was totally awesome and I wished we had one near us.

And the variety of cheese was amazing, did I say that???

(oh, and my tip? Take only the amount of cash you actually want to spend. Debit cards, credit cards, etc. would maybe be way too tempting in that place….)

GfG June 1, 2012 at 12:04 am

Oh, cheese! I love cheese!

Hugs!

(You KNOW I’m gonna love the dark chocolate almonds. Eeek!)

Brenda May 31, 2012 at 9:17 am

NUTS! So yummy and priced very well. And I love, love, love their frozen orange juice concentrate.

YoumissAmy May 31, 2012 at 12:37 pm

TJ’s was entirely worth your move. It will make your life worth living. Thinking about going to TJ’s makes me want to go on…the Joe Joe’s (and, oh man the candy cane Joe Joe’s at Christmas), the organic jerky, baking mixes, raw cheeses, frozen convenience foods (taquitos!), any of the candy esp the cocoa almonds, cottage cheese, 3 buck chuck, the TJ’s brand mango shave cream, the cheap flowers, the tomato bruschetta mix, the flavored sausages…somebody make me stop b/c my mouth is watering and I’m getting really depressed here. Oh and the sparkling lemonade and just about everything else…like the blue cheese crackers and the salted peanut butter with flax seed and the coriander room spray. Yeah don’t forget the candied walnuts for salads. They’re on the bottom shelf. The shampoos/conditioners – not so great but people swear by them. Dan likes the soaps. Did I go over your grocery budget yet? Spend it like you’ve got it. Thank me later. Did I mention the baked goods?

GfG June 1, 2012 at 12:02 am

Oh, you crack me up, Mrs. IDoMissAmy!
Thanks! Ok, I need to print all of this out and go BY MYSELF once before I take the kids again. Mmmmm!

Martha May 31, 2012 at 7:27 pm

There are many delightful things at TJ’s, but some of my favorites are their scone mixes, wild rice and trail mix. My sister and Real Simple magazine recommend the Gluten-Free corn pasta (great price too I hear…), and there are several frozen things she praises highly. I’ll try to find out which.
One other thing I have yet to try is a cheese called Eidel-weiss cheese. Some of my Wisconsin cousins have milk cows and some other cousins make that milk into cheese, all of which is bought by Trader Joes. It’s the only place you can buy it. Pretty cool.
I’ll be looking at this post often too. We’re getting a TJ’s in the Woodlands!!! (45 min north of Houston). So excited!!!

Literary Mom May 31, 2012 at 7:55 pm

I second the cheese. In fact, in a previous life (aka high school), I was a TJ’s cheese girl – possibly the best paying job I ever had…I mean getting to taste all that goodness!

I grocery shop twice a month – once at Costco and once at TJ’s, so I have a lot of favorites, but I’ll start with my husband’s: salted caramel sauce. He insists we keep a spare in the pantry at all times. Staying in the sweet category, I like all their relatively healthy options: Tofutti Cuties (kids love these), low sugar jam, organic honey, and grade B maple syrup also come to mind. I shouldn’t drink caffeinated coffee, but they sampled their Chai coffee last week, and I couldn’t resist buying it. Their coffee ice cream is equally delightful.

I have a feeling if I keep going with suggestions, I’ll end up filling up the screen, and I’ve got to get dinner in the oven, but if time permits, I’ll come back and share my savory favorites.

GfG May 31, 2012 at 7:57 pm

Ooooh! Do come back! I mean, serve your family, of course, but then come back! :-)

GfG May 31, 2012 at 11:31 pm

Tips from some FB friends:
RB:Tip? Look at EVERYTHING! LOL There is nothing ordinary there :)
JMR: Sigh. *jealous*. Cheese. The dark chocolate covered raspberries. Anything. Everything.
TB: The trail mix with the dark chocolate chunks. DON’T BUY IT!!! Highly dangerous!!!!!!!!!!
SU: I’ve never been to one, but, I ‘ve had their French Roast coffee and it’s so good!! My favorite coffee…and it’s cheap!!
Reader: J, I said almost the same thing– cheese. -sigh- (on her blog) Had not even heard of dark chocolate covered raspberries….wow.
MPL: I don’t like trader joe’s. ;)
TB: If I am in the area and need a quick snack I grab the peanut butter pretzels and a bottle of fresh carrot juice. Yum!!
LPB: I have only been in there a couple times (way out of my budget), I did pick up a few things with a gift card a while back. Wishing I would have bought more coconut oil. They have fun specialty items (sauces, oils, snacks, etc).
DSH: The only item I buy at TJ’s is almond milk. Occasionally I’ll also buy produce.
HC: love their mac and cheese… way cheaper than Annies. i like their smoked trout, sunflower oil, peanut butter and most of their snackies.
PUC: I like to get my Kerrygold butter there. Dennis likes the dark chocolate covered almonds. Produce. Coconut oil.
AJP: Snacks and wine.
JG: Peanut butter, honey, snacks. No wine in Maryland. :(
Reader: P, I think the choc covered almonds will get her. And from this list, I’m seriously wishing there was one somewhere near my US locales. Sad.
JG: Dark chocolate covered pomegranate seeds. Dark chocolate covered espresso beans. Dark chocolate covered almonds….
DW: Be very carefy w/ the choc. covered espresso beans! Very, very carefy!
DW: Produce, wine, snacks, sauces (they used to have an orange sauce that was the bomb, but they haven’t had it in a while), cheese, samples! They always have samples of something. We start buying about everything we’ve ever sampled. ;) Have fun!
PUC: Oh yeah, Dennis likes the dark chocolate covered expresso beans too. I don’t care for the beans getting stuck in my teeth.
PG: General Tso’s sauce, anything chocolate, the Port Salut cheese is to die for, we love the tea, coffee etc. Really there is very little that I’ve had that I havent’ bought a second time.
DLM: DH likes their Bay Blend coffee beans; I like the Charles Shaw wine.

Thyme June 1, 2012 at 2:03 pm

We have one in our city…and I’ve only ever been in the parking lot of it! When I was pregnant with Z I sent Jordan in to get me some Papaya Enzymes, to help with my awful acid reflux and heart burn. It worked!

Veronica Serrano December 18, 2012 at 9:44 pm

I read about your book on raising arrows. I would like to purchase your EBook ,I have five children first delivery vaginal and the other 4 c-section. Our family will be blessed this January with our fifth child via c-section a lot of people think we are crazy and ask how many c-sections can you have? and I reply “that would be up to the LORD!” I think your book would be a great encouragement as well as refreshing, as I read a little on your blog, I said to myself finally someone I could relate to and she is a sister in the LORD perfect. My question would be this is my first EBook purchase if someone buys it for me can they send it through email for me to read? I do not have pay pal set up.