Huge Proof I Have Crazy Love For My Children

by GfG on January 15, 2014 · 12 comments

3 Flares Twitter 1 Facebook 1 Pin It Share 1 Email -- Google+ 0 3 Flares ×

Moms are known for doing crazy things for their children.  All kinds of silliness and seriously sweet things to show love.  This past week, I joined the ranks of crazy.  A mom doing something crazy to show love to her children.  To two daughters, specifically.

Sigh.

I still can’t believe I did it and neither can Paul, who feels the same way I do about the items that have entered our home.

Rats.

rat face WEB

On purpose.  Yes, seriously.  Two rats are in our house because I brought them here.

Rats.

rat 1 WEB

You heard me, right right?

Here’s how the crazy went down:

We promised Chloe a cat for Christmas.  We have been a pet free home since August of 2008, when we had to leave The Ranch.  The kids have lobbied for a dog and cats since that time, to no avail.  We were renting or in a place we knew was not permanent and I didn’t want to get pets with a chance of having to give them away again.  So… we waited.

Waited for God to lead us to our Plan B which was/is actually his continuation of Plan A.

He led us to Albuquerque, New Mexico, but we were still renting.  Until a month ago.

Every house we looked at was evaluated by the children for pet abilities.  This one is perfect.

Hence the promise to Chloe for a kitty and to all the children for a dog.

As we moved and unpacked, we decided to wait until we pass the major snow months before getting a dog since it will be a mostly outside dog.  That being settled, Chloe turned her puppy dog (or kitty cat, as the case may be) eyes on me.  I convinced her to wait for her cat until after Dadaw’s visit since he is allergic.

Yet… as my excited mounted for getting a cat (I really love cats), reality did too.  I’m allergic and Phoebe is allergic.  We lived with three cats for many years, so it is doable.  It probably isn’t wise.

Sadly, that didn’t deter me.  Crazy, right?

What did slow me down… to a halt… was the number of people who said they wouldn’t be able to come visit us if we had a cat in the house.

That’s what did it for me: we shouldn’t let Chloe have an indoor cat.  How to tell her?  “Oh, LORD, please give me the right words and soften her heart,” was my prayer.  Seriously.

He gave me the right words… and two rats.  I will never be convinced God doesn’t have a sense of humor.

Just when I was near tears in having to bring a daughter to tears of disappointment, I took her aside with a smile.

“I have an offer for you, Chloe.  Babe, I know I promised you a kitty.  I’m so sorry, but I’ve been thinking and thinking about it and I think it’s not a good idea.  Many people {I named them} wouldn’t be able to ever come to our house, plus Phoebe and I’s allergies could go badly.  So… what if we made a trade?

What if I traded you a pet kitty of your own for a family outdoor cat AND two rats?”

To say she was ecstatic would be an understatement.  Seriously.

The fact that Phoebe has asked for a pet rat for years sure helped. (I’m pretty sure “No stinkin’ way. Ever.” was my answer to Phoebe.)

The next day, I went to get the little “things” from a sweet camp counselor who needed to find new homes for her pets.  I arrived home  to this sign.  And girls giddy for rats.

Welcome Home Rats WEB

Ugh.  You know that scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark and the famous line, “Snakes!  It had to be snakes?!”  That’s how I feel about rats, tarantulas, and scorpions.

Seriously.

But I love my girls.  Mucho.  Crazy love them.

And I love guests to be comfortable in our home, as much as possible.

So… rats it is.

girls with rats each WEB

Don’t try to convince me they are cute.  Not.Gonna.Happen.

And Paul has warned the girls that the rats will be shot if they leave their assigned area and persons.  He’s serious.

Still…. the rats are happy and my girls are happy.  And we are cat dander free.

I guess that isn’t so crazy.

What crazy thing have you done for your children?

3 Flares Twitter 1 Facebook 1 Pin It Share 1 Email -- Google+ 0 3 Flares ×

AnnetteQ January 15, 2014 at 6:05 am

Brave Mama! I happen to really like rats for pets. Of the rodent population they are most adaptable for kiddos, more clean than mice and hamsters, and least likely to bite ( unless nest sitting).
They can cause considerable damage if escape occurs. My kids would love a rat. For me, our non shedding, dander free Standard Poodle is plenty!

GfG January 15, 2014 at 10:59 am

I am trying to convince the family to get a poodle for our dog, since then I’d let it be an inside dog. :)

Annette Q. January 15, 2014 at 11:39 am

I will never own anything but a poodle. We tried our luck with other non shedders but poodles rock! The nice thing about a St. Poodle is that they are pretty tough and great with kids. I also love their bark. Our McGyver could stop any stranger in their tracks with his bark. They are very lovey and also great protectors. Mac also killed countless snakes…a big plus in my book! The down side is they have allergies and need tons of grooming. I have recently met a Goldendoodle and they are very hardy and require less grooming.

GfG January 15, 2014 at 1:36 pm

I like less grooming. I like snake killers. ;)

Heather January 15, 2014 at 11:17 am

Oh, you’re making me miss our Malcolm and Norman (yes they were two girl rats but being James’s pets, they had tv and comic book boy names). We LOVED playing with them. You will actually grow to like them, I promise, just spend a little time holding them :-) So proud of you and Paul!! ;-) Use some old shoe boxes and tubes to make a “maze” for them to run in outside of their cage.

Heather January 15, 2014 at 11:18 am

And I knew Annette would like them too ;-) Nature Crafts girls die hard.

Sarah [My Full Home] January 15, 2014 at 12:37 pm

My daughter is only 22 months old so I guess this is a glimpse into my future :)

GfG January 15, 2014 at 1:35 pm

Yes… fun times! :)

Luke Holzmann January 16, 2014 at 6:39 am

I feel no need to try to convince you to enjoy the rats. After you’ve spent a bit of time with them it will all fall into place. When my wife first mention rats and I was skeptical. Now? Well… how about a little video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulC5y-FjzLU

~Luke

Sarah H January 16, 2014 at 2:58 pm

Haha! You are one good mama, Mrs. B!! :-) I’m looking forward to meeting those two cuties sometime. ;-)
You truly inspire me, just so ya know. :-) I hope I will be willing to do some of those things for my kids some day.

God bless!

Sis January 19, 2014 at 6:59 am

WOW! I’m so impressed! Way to go Sista’! The rats are sweet, the girls are THRILLED…sounds like a homerun!

Toni January 21, 2014 at 10:00 pm

It’s me, finally reading your blog and posting! We once had 2 ferretts (might as well be rats) that stunk. never again. Discovered that hermit crabs are easy. Outdoor cats rule. My crazy Mama allowance was to agree to let them raise a Mouflon lamb that we found abandoned by its mama. That was WORK! and lots of money for formula, but well worth it. They learned a lot about responsibility! Hannah keeps asking me for a pet snake. uh-uh, no way, never! No creepy things in my house. Congrats on being a rat owner. You are brave! :)