Why I Like Being Homeschooled: Thoughts from Chloe, a 13 Year Old Girl

by GfG on January 9, 2015 · 7 comments

18 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 12 Pin It Share 2 Email -- Google+ 4 18 Flares ×

Starting a new series today.  I thought you might enjoy (and Lord knows I will) hearing from homeschooled kiddos instead of just this homeschooling mama. So, I’ve recruited… er, forced… nay, assigned essays… to six students.  You’ll get to hear the good, the bad, and the goofy straight from the good, the bad, and the goofy.  No prompting or editing by me: Just the questions and their answers.

Ask your questions in the comment section and the student will answer.

First up, a brilliant and endearing thirteen year old girl.  Her name is Chloe and I adore her.  Seriously.

Why I Like Being Homeschooled Part 1

Why do you like homeschooling?

Well, to start out, I get to be with my best friends all day. True, siblings can be (very)annoying, but you love them more than anything. And most of your friends are homeschooled too, so you can get together earlier in the afternoon.

You can stay in your pajamas all day (which is very nice) and you can actually like your teacher.

You can have cereal for lunch, pancakes for dinner, or pizza for breakfast, but it all depends on much the kids ask and how much chocolate they use to bribe her (a pound will get you cereal for sure).

We get to watch fun shows for school like The Sound of Music, Hunchback of Notre Dame, Ever After, Gettysburg, Foyle’s War, Wild Kratts, and more.

Field trips can be going to the zoo, going to see a friend’s new baby (we do that one a lot), visiting someone in the hospital, and basically anything that has anything to do with education.

And because my parents are Christians, we kids learn a whole lot more about Jesus Christ and what he did for us. Overall, It is healthy for the brain, healthy for the soul, and fun for everyone.

What do you think people misunderstand about homeschooling or homeschoolers?

Most people think that homeschoolers are sheltered, unknowing creatures, knowing nothing of the outside world. This, of course, is wrong. We know plenty of the outside world. We may learn it along the way, but everyone does that.

We read books that other people read.  We watch movies and tv shows that other people watch. We are just like other people, except we do some things differently. Its not like we’re aliens from another planet.  We just believe in something else. Is that so weird?

Everyone does it. No two people believe the exact same thing, I would think, because whether its the name of someone or how something happened that they believe, it is still different in the tiniest way.

Would you homeschool your children?  Why or why not?

Well, Its hard to say. My mom gets stressed out sometimes, but that’s what chocolate is for. I say yes. It has been a big impact on me. I can’t imagine what life would be like if my mom hadn’t decided to homeschool us. Homeshooling is a gift, and we should all accept it. :)

*Chloe out*

What questions or thoughts do you have for Chloe?

18 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 12 Pin It Share 2 Email -- Google+ 4 18 Flares ×

Stephanie Olmsted January 9, 2015 at 12:47 pm

Hi Chloe. I just started homeschooling my daughters around thanksgiving. My oldest daughter is close to your age, twelve in a few weeks. I am wondering if you have any recommendations for her for books or any actives or study units you have really enjoyed?
Any tips for spending the whole day with a little sister(s)?

GfG January 9, 2015 at 4:10 pm

Hmmmmm….. books. I can’t name all of them, but here are quite a few of them: Call of the Wild (I love wolves and any animals), Nory Ryan’s Song, the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series (I learned almost everything about Greek mythology and had fun doing it), The Yearling, The Wingfeather Saga is REALLY good, The Door Within Series, A Wrinkle in Time, The Kane Chronicles(same author as the Percy Jackson series, but this is about Egyptian mythology), Horrible Histories, I really like the ‘You Wouldn’t Want To.. ‘ books, Lamplighter books are good, and there is probably lots more.

As for activities, every time we study medieval times, we make a castle out of boxes, egg cartons, and popsicle sticks. Its really fun figuring out how to make the egg cartons into peasant huts, and how you are going to stack the boxes and such. I really like to study Greek times(but only because I really like the Percy Jackson series) and Roman times. Spending time with little sisters……. Well… Its nice to include them. They want to be with the older kids, just like I want to. So include them in things you like to do, read, watch, etc. Most of the time I don’t want my younger sister to watch a tv show that I like because I feel like its my tv show, and she won’t love it as much as I do. So I don’t let her watch because I feel like she’s too young and won’t get it. She will get it, you just have to let it go and help her out.
*Chloe out*

Stephanie Olmsted January 9, 2015 at 4:21 pm

Thanks. She has read the Percy Jackson and the Olypians series and the Kane Chronicles. The other books we will check out. We will also try out the Greek and Roman studies as it is something she is interested in.

As for the little sister part… she just laughed and smiled.

Jan January 9, 2015 at 7:37 pm

Hi Chloe! Love your post. Thanks for doing it AND going first. Here are my questions:
1. What is the worst thing about homeschool?
2. What would you do differently if you were the teacher?
3. How did you get to be such an awesome young woman?

Love you!

GfG January 9, 2015 at 10:01 pm

Well, I was kinda forced to do it, but whatever.
1: Worst thing…. Probably having my mom as the teacher. I know that my mom being the teacher is awesome, but bad things can come with it too. You can’t hide anything from her. She’s always watching.
2:I would probably have better books. Most of the ones that my mom has planned out are pretty good, but not all of them are adventure books. I love a good adventure. who doesn’t?
3: I lived. 😉 Just kidding. It was probably because of my parents. They love the Lord and that makes wonderful kids. Really wonderful. Actually I would say they are quite amazing. Well, only the third one. 😀
Love you to!
*Chloe out*

Kaitlyn Wingerd January 10, 2015 at 10:49 pm

Hey Chloe, this is Kaitlyn, Amy & Liana’s older sister.

What is your favorite field trip that you have gone to in the past year and why did you like it so much?

GfG January 10, 2015 at 11:01 pm

In the spring we went to California. We got to see some friends and got to look at some tide pools. I really liked it because we didn’t get to see our friends much, and the tide pools were really cool. In the tide pools we found starfish, sea slugs, sea urchins, sea lions, crabs, maybe an octopus, a baby shrimp, lots and lots of mussels, seagulls, and more. It was really fun and very educational. I really like all animals(except chihuahuas) and I like learning about them.
*Chloe out*