Why I Like Being Homeschooled: Thoughts from Noah, a 16yo Boy

by GfG on January 30, 2015 · 22 comments

26 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 22 Pin It Share 2 Email -- Google+ 2 26 Flares ×

Continuing our series ….  I thought you might enjoy (and Lord knows I will) hearing from homeschooled kiddos instead of just this homeschooling mama. So, I’ve recruited… er, forced… nay, assigned essays… to six students.  You’ll get to hear the good, the bad, and the goofy straight from the good, the bad, and the goofy.  No prompting or editing by me: Just the questions and their answers.

Ask your questions in the comment section and the student will answer.

Next up, a sarcastic and humorous sixteen year old boy, Noah.  I like him lots.   Seriously.

16yo boy shares his thoughts on homeschooling WEB

Hello! I am Noah… I am super awesome and hilarious. I was asked to write my post last week and my attempts to make Mom forget worked for a while but now I really have to do it… So here goes!

Why do you like homeschooling?

I like homeschooling because it allows me to have closer friendships, homeschool co-ops, more free time, and a more flexible schedule.

What don’t you like about homeschooling?

I don’t like being cooped up in our house for most days, or the fact that if we miss a day of school, we then have to make up for it on Saturday.

What do you think people misunderstand about homeschooling or homeschoolers?

I think many people believe that all homeschoolers aren’t socialized and are boring. While this applies to some homeschoolers it certainly doesn’t apply to us or any other homeschoolers that we know!

Will you homeschool your kids? Why or why not?

I think that homeschooling is the better option, but I personally won’t be teaching them, so I won’t force whomever I marry to homeschool my kids.

That’s all I got out of this boy first attempt, so there was so conversations and some commands made….. nare I say threats, and I was able to extrapolate a bit more.

Describe your homeschooling day.

I usually try to sleep in for as long as possible then, when that fails, I eat breakfast and then clean up the mess made from breakfast, then I get started on the schoolwork I do on the CPU, and by the time that’s done, it’s usually lunch time! (Adding in tossing smaller children on the bed) After lunch is over and cleaned, I start to do the more fun subjects (Logic, Chemistry, and Drama) and then I make sure that I’ve finished everything, then eat dinner and go to sleep. On Fridays my schedule is completely ripped to shreds, due to Co-op in the morning, and Sign Class in the afternoon. Also, on Wednesday I have little time to do normal school in the morning because I have Chemistry right after lunch, and Drama after that until 5 or so.

What more do you want people to know about homeschooling and specifically about homeschooling a high school boy?

It makes life busier and more fun. Always.

Sooooooooooooo that’s me! 😛 talk to you later!

I may or may not throttle this sixteen year old boy.  Since I said I wouldn’t do this post for him/them, I will leave it.  Sigh.

Hit him with some … no… many! … questions!

What would you like to ask a 16yo homeschooling punk/boy?

26 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 22 Pin It Share 2 Email -- Google+ 2 26 Flares ×

Danielle January 30, 2015 at 11:04 am

I have a question!
Do people treat you differently since you are homeschooled? If so, how?

GfG January 30, 2015 at 5:13 pm

Not that I’ve noticed…

Sarah January 30, 2015 at 11:04 am

What are you worst subjects? Any advice for completing boring/hard subjects?

GfG January 30, 2015 at 5:17 pm

Probably Math or Grammar & Rhetoric. If you work out a candy system, that usually works! 😛

~ Noah

DJ January 30, 2015 at 11:07 am

Is there any particular thing that you would change about how you are homeschooled or what curriculum you use?

GfG January 30, 2015 at 5:18 pm

No I like the Biblioplan curriculum! :)

Danielle January 30, 2015 at 11:08 am

Do you ever feel left out of the types of extra curricular activities that happen in a public school? Have you ever done sports? How did you do it?

GfG January 30, 2015 at 5:20 pm

I haven’t really felt left out because we found a few homeschool groups that more than make up for it! When I was much younger I played soccer for 6 years with AYSO.

Blair January 30, 2015 at 11:09 am

How do you perceive that homeschooling for a teenage boy is perhaps different from that of a teenage girl?

GfG January 30, 2015 at 5:21 pm

Well… Interesting… I would say that Mom should do a post about that sometime! 😛

Kat January 30, 2015 at 11:26 am

Well, I have a non academic question for you Noah.
Do you have some good book, movie, and tv show recommendations?

GfG January 30, 2015 at 5:34 pm

Ooooo I like these questions! 😀
Books: Eragon, LOTR, The Hunger Games, Divergent, and The Berinfell Series
Movies: All Marvel and Tolkien Movies, Lone Survivor, Unbroken, Phantom of the Opera, Les Miserables, and The Bourne Movies
Tv Shows: The Mentalist, Agents of SHIELD, Agent Carter, Grimm, and Psych.
Thanks!
~ Noah

Kat January 30, 2015 at 9:12 pm

I hear that many of those are quite good! Thank you!
Quick (or not) follow up question…. I know that many of those movies and books have magic in them? As a young man in a Christian home, what are your thoughts about magic and witches in light of the Word of God?

Noah B. January 31, 2015 at 6:39 pm

Yes they do! I think that as long as it’s not claiming to get the powers from God or using it to play “god”, then I think that it’s fine.

Heather January 30, 2015 at 4:16 pm

question…how are you and James NOT related, I mean all that awesomeness. Love ya NB!

GfG January 30, 2015 at 5:25 pm

You know, that’s a question often asked here! :p But as I’m sure you know, every few decades there is someone born who is gifted with unimaginable powers! James and I are two of those kinds of people! It’s a rare occurrence that two have appeared so close together, but that just makes the awesome stronger! 😛

Uncle Awesome January 30, 2015 at 5:17 pm

I have a sneaky suspicion I am related to Awesome. I too am awesome and hilarious!

GfG January 30, 2015 at 5:37 pm

Well, maybe a distant cousin… 😛

~ Noah the More Awesome-er than Uncle Awesome

Georgie January 30, 2015 at 8:59 pm

Hey Noah, thanks for the post! My question is what opportunities does homeschooling give you to engage with non-Christians? How do you feel about those opportunities?

Noah B. January 31, 2015 at 6:50 pm

Homeschooling itself doesn’t offer a whole lot of opportunities, but living/working on a camp really does! The majority of people that interact with the camp we currently work at are not Christians, and they all know that we are so I think that gives us a great chance to represent. The way we behave at camp is often the best way to show our faith and sometimes it affects how the people feel towards Christians in general.

Jan Tessier January 31, 2015 at 11:01 am

1. To what or whom do you attribute your awesomeness? How about your hilariousness?
2. Given the choice, homeschool or Xavier’s Institute for Higher Learning? Why?
3. Favorite Green Lantern?
4. Tips for a new homeschooling mom? (We start in a couple of years!)

Noah B. January 31, 2015 at 6:46 pm

1 – Past influence from equally awesome people!
2 – Well, not to discourage anyone from homeschooling, I would pick Xavier’s! 😛